Thursday 28 August 2008

MAKING A DIFFERENCE

I am physically and emotionally exhausted !

These past few days have been exceptionally busy, not just the number of births attended but the nature of them. As I have explained before, Bwaila maternity hospital serves as the referral unit for the whole of Lilongwe and surrounding areas. This means that anything that can't be sorted out at health centre or district level comes to us.

Today has been one of those days when we have been continually receiving referred patients. Yes these are true patients. There situation/condition means that the birth is now not normal, has passed to the realms of pathalogical, of difficult, of dangerous or very dangerous.

I arrived as usual soon after 7am. at the same time as an ambulance bringing us 3 women from the same health centre. It sometimes makes me wonder what they have been doing with these ladies all night ? A retained twin, now dead with one arm visibly hanging from the vagina.Two prolonged 2nd stage..this means that they have been pushing in vain for hours without result.

I started to prioritize. We have only one operating theatre, so who needs to go first?

The baby is already dead, in case one, so she can wait. Severe fetal distress in the second means an emergency c/section to save the baby. But the third although there was no fetal heartbeat to be heard the mother had a ruptured uterus thus endangering her life. Maternal life before fetal wellbeing meant the second had to wait. Her operation was carried out later and the baby is alive....just!
And that was how the morning went. When I had time to look at the clock I found it to be already 1pm. No wonder I was hungry and thirsty!
It was a morning of assesment, evaluation and decision making. It was an immensely challenging morning. I was encouraged at times to find a true feeling of team work with my Malawian colleagues, clinical officers, medical staff and midwives. As we hurriedly passed each other in the ward, one of the C.O's gave me a "thumbs up" sign as if to say " another one safely delivered" It was great to see his obvious pleasure at a job well done. This is not something I see very often as mostly I think that the Malawian staff don't believe that what they do, how they act, will really make any difference. It made me realize how driven I am, personally, by this feeling of 'making a difference.' To just one mother or baby just one at a time. Its what keeps me going. Its what makes my days worthwhile. Its what makes me cope with the tiredness, the exhaustion ,the frustrations, that feeling that I am really making a difference. The day I dont feel this I might as well give up. If money isn't an incentive, which here in Malawi it obviously isn't, then there has to be some reason to keep going. If they rarely feel they make a difference then this may account for the uncaring, negligent behaviour I often encounter.
I was further challenged to assist a twin breech delivery. Both came feet first and weighed over 2.5kgs. this is large by Malawian standards. Both presented difficulty with the birth of the aftercoming head but with my now greater knowledge and experience I was able to help these little ones out safely.

I cannot tell you all the situations that I find myself confronting in labour ward, but sufficient to say that daily I find myself putting my skills to the test, learning, becoming more practised and confident and able to help these lovely Malawian women and babies.


My girls will be here this time next week. I can't wait!
Untill then I go to rest, to have fun time with Lucas and my friends, to live each day to its full.
There is so much to do and so little time....ENJOY!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hiya! HAvent spoken in a while. Glad you seem to be doing ok, strong as always! Lots of love to both of you,
Alasdair