Wednesday 20 August 2008

ANGER TURNED TO HOPE.

Friday of last week I was going to write to you but I was too angry. I went to a braii (barbeque) instead! Tarek had arrived back from his time away in Europe and along with him a new obstetrician and nurse from Holland. It was good to meet new colleagues although, unfortunately, they will only be here for 5 weeks. I was also able to vent my anger and frustrations to a listening understanding ear. As I have mentioned before Tarek normally comes up with some helpful insight into the situation and he didnt let me down this time. Opinions that evening were that I should still write. I should write with my anger along with all the other confusing emotions that confront me daily. But now it is Wednesday and the anger has calmed. Today I still feel some of those angry feeings but I am also encouraged by the students with whom I have been working hard during the past 3 weeks and their changing attitudes.
Sometimes we are so busy on labour ward that we really cannot attend all the women and babies however hard we try. Women are neglected to birth alone and difficult births end in tragedy.
But on Thursday morning there were only 3 women to attend. I arrived later than usual (8am)
The midwives change shift at 7.30am. I was met by 8 senior student midwives and 3 midwives chatting, cleaning, generally milling around. Having greeted everyone I donned my plastic apron and approached the first bed. There was no record of maternal or fetal observations in the past 2 hours. I listened to the fetal heart beat...I heard severe fetal distress. On examining her I realized I could assist the birth with a vacuum extraction. I called one of the students to help and the baby was born quickly. I resuscitated the child whilst the student attended the mother and all was well. It was now 8.30am. I passed on to the second bed...to my horror I saw that this baby was last observed at 6.45am. now nearly 2 hours ago. The baby was ok, so after encouraging the mother to get off the bed and try some more comfortable positions I then went to the 3rd bed. This mother and baby had not been attended since 7.20am. It was now 8.40am.
Only 3 women .... 3 neglected women and babies.
I was furious! I marched over to the milling crowd of midwives and students...
" We have only 3 women to attend" I shouted. " I have already assisted a baby with fetal distress and the other 2 have not been attended for 1 or 2 hours this is not acceptable, I cannot cope with this!"
I attended one woman, whilst 2 students went to the other bed. They called me immediately. The heart beat was low the woman could not push out her baby she needed an emergency c/section. At 9.40 the baby was extracted in operating theatre. It was necessary for us to perform extensive resuscitation but the baby lived...just... and is now doing well.
Later I apologized for shouting. " No, no " they replied, "you were right" Overall they are a really good set of students and I am encouraged daily by their progress and how they are quickly learning to become competant in their tasks. It was also good to hear them readily accept that in this instance they had failed. I hope they will remember my anger and it will teach them just a little about their responsibilty to the women and babies in their care.

I am continuing with the weekly ' workshops' for our midwives at Bwaila. I was thrilled to find that whilst I had been sick and then away with Alasdair the courses had continued under the leadership of the matrons. They had been well attended and the midwives were very positive about them. In meeting with thematrons to plan ahead for the period from now untill the end of the year we were able to agree on subjects to be covered and divide the teaching between us.
I am so pleased ! This may just be sustainable... and thats what its all about. How much better that they are also being lead and encouraged by their own matrons.

Lucas is back at school. He seems happy with his new teacher, "...who doesnt shout, not like you mummy!" But seems to have some pretty tight rules!
Social life has started up again as everyone returns from their summer(Europe) winter(Malawi)
holidays. We have a new Zimbabwean family living on the compound which means Lucas has constant playmates. Not always a good thing!
We are counting the days untill Katy and Fiona arrive at the beginning of September...wow do I miss my kids!
I want to leave you with one of Luki's many astounding comments /observations.
" I dont know why children are not allowed to watch Lord of the Rings because it is too violent? It is the adults that shouldn't watch fighting and killing because they can do it, but the children can't, they just stay with their mummies."
Worth thinking about don't you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOhhhhhh I MISS UU and LUKII!! looking foward to seeing u both! lots of luv xxxxxx

*FioniMac*

Unknown said...

My dear friend... Llevaba mucho tiempo con ganas de localizarte, pero siempre ando demasiado ocupada...como siempre... Ahora ya ha pasado demasiado tiempo y no podía dejar pasar un día más sin decirte que me acuerdo mucho de ti y te echo de menos. Pienso leer detenidamente todo lo que has colgado en el blog para saber cómo estás y todas las aventuras que estarás teniendo. Eres una mujer increible!!! Te quiero!! Marisol (danza del vientre Acuario)