Tuesday 10 March 2009

SOME CHANGES BUT SAME DIRECTION

It’s now over 2 weeks since I last wrote to you all. Life just gets busier and busier. I remember someone saying to me many years ago with reference to my Mum, “If you want something done, ask a busy person!” It was true then and still is now!
Since I arrived over 1 year ago I have been following the progress of the new maternity wing at Bwaila hospital. As I have explained before we are at present running a high risk, centrally run unit on a district site. The buildings are old and dirty. Conditions are bad and back up services are mainly at the Central Hospital several kilometres away. The initiative for the building of our new wing plus a larger one on the central site was taken by Tarek several years ago. The central unit is being funded by The Hunter/Clinton Foundation whilst ours by The Rose Project from Ireland. During the past months I have become involved with their work becoming their representative here in Malawi. Over the last 2 weeks I have been working closely alongside the director and members of the board during their visit to Lilongwe. As the buildings near completion there are a huge number of details to be checked on ground level. As my input is as a midwife I am able to see things on a purely workable basis which is important. I will be helping to organize and aid a smooth change over to the new wing. It is a hugely challenging task into which I have thrown myself. Trying to co ordinate the various parties that are concerned has turned into a largely administrative and managerial task which has taken me away from labour ward for the time being. I must admit I really miss the contact with the women, babies and my colleagues but I know I will get back to that later. I am still closely involved in the workshops/teaching twice a week and am taking this opportunity to introduce the new working conditions and hospital lay out to the midwives. The delivery rooms have been built on European based designs. Each woman will have her own individual room. This is totally innovative here in Africa. It may be found in a few private maternity hospitals but never in a public service. Our ‘poor’ mothers will have a greatly superior environment and they deserve it! Being with Mary Donahoe (Rose Project) has introduced me to other areas and given me new contacts. I was particularly interested in our meeting with the school of nursing and midwifery. They are hugely short of tutors and clinical teachers which only comes second to the fact that many midwives cannot be trained due to lack of funding. Recently one of the training courses was delayed as the government funds were not received. The school was closed until such time as the money became available. This is now a problem for the integration of these graduates into our new units. We are relying on these new midwives as part of our team. The most challenging area to be faced is that of staffing. Everyone seems aware of this crisis but nothing seems to be effective. Short term, we need midwives from ANYWHERE and long term, we need to train more midwives here in Malawi. There are many reasons for this tremendous shortage. Those that go overseas, those that move into the private/NGO sectors, where the pay and conditions are better, and not least, the high number of nurses who are dying. Believe me not a week seems to pass when they are not burying a colleague. Life expectancy remains under forty in Malawi and this is seen equally in the nursing profession. This morning I heard that one of our ‘old’ midwives had died. On enquiring as to how old they thought she was I was seriously told “In her fifties!” The Rose Project is also sponsoring a clinic for health workers in Lilongwe. This centre will serve all health staff. They will be attended in confidence and counselling and treatment will be given. This is especially important for our HIV positive nurses who find it difficult to visit a public clinic as they will be seen by their patients and possibly thereafter be unable to work due to stigma and lack of knowledge of the condition and its implications. There is much to be done and few to do the work but there are also many trying to help from afar. Aid to Africa has and is suffering due to the global economic crisis. I ask you please not to forget us. However difficult it may be for you over there it is not comparable to the poverty and suffering in Malawi.
Lucas and I keep strong and happy. We have much to be grateful for. Compared to the many in Malawi we are extremely fortunate. We sometimes miss our European roots especially our family and friends. My lovely children so far away, Lucas’ Dad his brother and sisters and Branston Pickle!
But for the moment we are in the right place doing the right thing...at least that’s how it feels at present. We send our love and thoughts to you all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bueno bueno, creia que te habias olvidado de los de la otra parte del "charco" como dicen por aqui, pero me alegró leerte el otro dia, es increible todo lo que leo, lo que mueve, lo que sirve, siento mucha emocion de saber todo lo que estas/ais haciendo, te envio mi enorme abrazo.
Taper
PD: porfa escribe pronto

Anonymous said...

Hola Rachel, es un verdadero placer leer tu blog.... los de Zaragoza seguimos trabajando para enviar profesionales allí, seguramente desde septiembre.
Carlos Barba y yo iremos a Lilongwe pronto, problablemente entre el 18 y el 25 de mayo.
Por supuesto querremos hablar contigo y con Tarek para sacar el máximo partido a nuestras posibilidades.
Intentaré llamarte al movil mañana o pasado mañana. Dime si es posible cuendo es buen momento para llamarte.
Muchos besos, Carmen Ferrer