Thursday 25 September 2008

MANY BABIES AND NO BEDS

We have 14 beds on labour ward at Bwaila hospital. It is the traditional ' nightingale ward ' which allows little or no privacy for the labouring women as more often than not the curtains hanging round each bed ar either torn broken or not present. The beds are about 1.5m apart which does not allow much freedom of movement for the woman or the midwife. However this ' layout ' does have its advantages as it allows the understaffed midwives to, at least, be aware of what is going on in most of the ward. If you can't see them you can hear them. " Nursey! nursey! nursey! " they cry to attract our attention., very often when the babies head is emerging, so all we can do is run to catch the little one coming out. However it doesn't always work. I should tell you of the birth on night duty, I wasn't present. The woman cried out alerting the staff that the baby had been born. The midwife approached the bed with her equipment but there was no sign of the baby. On closer inspection the newborn was found dangling by the umbilical cord over the side of the bed! Both mother and baby are fine.....now!

We are attending around 40 to 50 births a day so, as you can imagine, it is not unusual to find that we have no spare beds. Labouring women will stand beside the bed of a recently delivered mother just waiting for her to get up and go to the shower so she can claim her bed! ( It reminds me of people waiting in restaurant queues for the next available table. Trying to judge if the diners on table one, who are taking coffee, will then ask for a liquor after or just go straight for the bill and what a relief when you see them putting on their coats and getting up to go!) No spare beds means that women will birth on the floor. This can be an advantage as she will rarely lie down but be in whatever position she finds most comfortable but the disadvantages are that the cement floors are extremely dirty, hardly ideal for receiving a newborn and most midwives would not get down on the floor to assist. And so it was on Monday morning when I arrived. " A full house! " I was told. I enquired as to where I should start? Who was pushing? Any problems? I was asked to attend bed 8. " She was fully dilated at 6am. but we've been so busy we told her she would have to wait " And she had! As I went to her bed I passed a woman crouching on ' all fours' on the floor. She was moaning loudly, obviously in advanced labour, but as there was no bed and I had another to attend I left her on the floor. It was her first baby and the head was low. I got her out of bed and onto the birthing stool. " Can I push now" she enquired and was happy and relieved that she didn't have to wait any longer, that she had someone to care for her and so she started pushing. Ten minutes later, with much encouragement I started to see the head, the fetal heart was fine and she was doing well. I had been looking over regularly at the woman on the floor to see how she was doing and shouting words of encouragement. " We'll have a bed soon, don't worry " I dont expect she understood me but then again my words were not only for her, but for the other midwives standing around. Its a dangerous time to give birth as the night nurses have finished and the day staff have not yet started. " Can someone attend that woman please I begged" Too late! The cleaner shouted out " Baby born!" Still no one seemed to move, so I left my young first timer and rushed to her side. The baby had been born by the breech ( bum first) and was hanging by its head while she stayed on all fours position. This is a great position for normal births but absolutely NOT for breeches. I got on the floor and quickly managed to help the head to be born, it was not easy, even with my experience in attending in all sorts of positions. The baby needed immediate resuscitation which I did. Still no movement from my colleagues! " Please will someone get her onto a bed " I cried. " Can you check if there is a twin as the baby is quite small. " I asked. It took about 10 minutes to get another woman off to the shower and wash the bed. In that time I continued to work on the baby all the time asking for them to hurry up and please check if there was a twin. By the time she was on the bed and being attended by 2 students the baby was breathing spontaneously so I left her with oxygen and approached the bed. They had confirmed a 2nd twin but still had not listened for the fetal heart or determined the presentation. I continue to be amazed by the total lack of a sense of urgency amoung my fellow midwives. I could not bear it, so I just took over. "She has one nearly dead baby by god we're going to save this one " I exclaimed. They had not heard a heart beat! I examined her, determined a head presentation, ruptured the membranes, applied a vacuum extraction and as she pushed I pulled that baby out. It was not difficult but it was urgent. The baby's condition was poor so I left the students to attend to the woman and resuscitated the 2nd little girl. Both babies responded well and are now in nursery. The students working in Nursery have taken a special interest in them and I have visited them everyday since. I am happy to say that they are doing well. Both are breast feeding, they have lost weight and are being treated with antibiotics but after the first 24hours on oxygen are now maintaining well. I was able to take them some of the clothes and blankets that Katy brought over given by very generous donations. I hope to continue to follow their progress when they are discharged.

Just to finish I should tell you of our visitors to labour ward this week. We have received a large group of senior midwives, tutors, matrons, clinical instructors etc.from all the different university training centres in Malawi. They are on a 3 week goverment course funded by an NGO specifically to revise and refresh their practical knowledge so has to improve their teaching both in the classroom and in the clinical situation. Part of their updating is to look at different birthing positions, freedom of movement in labour, spontaneous pushing and instinctive birthing behaviour. They had been told that in Bwaila maternity unit we are already practising this type of care. Hallelujuh ! Its just what I have been teaching and trying to implement, but how much better that it now comes from official ministry sources and encouraged by their own people. I have had the opportunity to work with these midwives this week and we have had more vertical births than ever. Women were seen crouching, standing, moving around and generally off the bed. Yesterday I was able to demonstrate how to attend the delivery of twins with the woman sitting on the birthing stool.

I am happy and extremely encouraged.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Acabo de leer los tres posts de septiembre de una sentada, y he pasado de sentir la añoranza por tus hijas, a la deseperación por la muerte de los bebés, y a leerte ahora "happy and extremely encouraged". Transmites tan bien tus sentimientos que puedo casi transportarme a esa sala de partos.
Un beso enorme, Rachel.

Anonymous said...

Your stories are really moving, Rachel. They're lucky to have you, so much as it is rewarding for yourself.

Anonymous said...

Hello!! hope ur well!! I´ll ring u soon and give u an update on wats going on in my life! miss u both lots!!
Ps Im nUde im so rude im nude im so rude!!! BIG kisses for both of you!!

FIona!

Anonymous said...

¡Hola Rachel!
Mi nombre es Soledad, y he tenido el honor de que ayudaras a mi hija Ariadna a venir al mundo.

Este año que ya acaba lo comenzaste conmigo, compartiendo tus uvas con Manuel, mi marido, y tu compañera Marta, en el paritorio, mientras yo empujaba para que saliera mi niña cuanto antes, al final lo hizo a los 18 minutos de que comenzara el 2008, fue algo muy especial para mí, por ser mi primer parto, y supongo que para tí significaría el punto y final de una etapa y el comienzo de otra lejos de España, terminaba el 2007 y comenzaba el 2008, y como acabo de leer ha estado lleno de hechos muy duros para tí y muy gratificantes también.

Hace poco hablé con Marta y también con Maricarmen -que junto con Rebeca me atendieron estupendamente en Acuario- y al comentarme que escribías un blog he venido rápidamente a leer cómo te encuentras, disculpa que te escriba en castellano, pero mi inglés es horrible, sólo me atrevo a leerlo.

Eres una gran mujer y me admira tu fortaleza interior y tu lucha, tu corazón y tus ganas de cambiar las cosas, desde que compartí mi parto contigo pasaste a ser de mi familia, cada vez que recuerdo el nacimiento de mi hija estás presente junto con Marta, son muchas veces las que lo recuerdo con mucha alegría y emoción y eso os lo debo a vosotras, aunque no os vea siempre estaréis en mi corazón, porque nunca olvidaré el nacimiento de Ariadna.

Mi hija se encuentra estupendamente, continúa tomando el pecho desde que la pusiste a mi lado y creo que es lo mejor que me ha pasado en la vida, es muy risueña y activa, tiene mucho caracter y curiosidad, me alegra que en cierta forma siempre estará unida a vosotras por un hilo invisible hasta que deje este mundo, vosotras, Marta y Rachel, dadoras de vida.
Con todo cariño: Ariadna,Manuel y Soledad.