Wednesday 26 November 2008

MAKING A DIFFERENCE

Today I want to share two of my many stories with you.
The first time I met Flora she was lying on a bed in labour ward her mum was standing alongside her. I was suprised at how young she looked and immediately noticed the worry and concern reflected on her mum's face. Maybe that was how I identified with her in that moment, somehow not as a patient and guardian, of which I see many, but as a Mum with her precious daughter. It is unusual to find mothers on labour ward except with very sick patients so I immediately presumed that her condition must be critical. I inspected her file to familiarize myself with her case and found that indeed she was a very ill girl/woman. Flora had been referred from the health centre in Salima, more than an hours drive from Lilongwe and situated on the side of Lake Malawi. She was around 30 weeks into her first pregnancy but was carrying a dead baby. She had last felt her baby's movements over one week ago. But that was not her only problem. She was suffering from severe and chronic anaemia. Her Hb. (normally 12 to 14) was 3.1 .The clinician who had admitted her described her appearance as "paper white" This may seem a strange way to describe a person with black skin but certainly makes you realize the seriousness of her condition. Flora is 20 years old, but looks 15! Apart from the pregnancy she had also been vomiting blood for several days. The reason for this was not known at that time but was an important contributing factor to her anaemic state. The hospital at Salima had transfused 3 bags of blood but could do no more. It was now extremely important to deliver the dead child but her critical condition made this very dangerous so she was referred to us at Bwaila.
By the time I arrived she had been transfused one more bag of blood and induction of labour had been iniciated. I decided to take over her care. I quickly made friends with her Mum, even though she spoke very little English and was grateful for her presence throughout the day. I soon realized that they had arrived in an ambulance from Salima with no posessions, money or food. I gave her Mum 500mk(less than 3 euros) with which to buy some basic food and essentials. It quickly became obvious that Flora had been sexually abused and therefore it was very difficult to perform the necessary examinations and procedures. However, I refused to do this by force ( she had been forced too many times) and though it took a great deal of time and effort, talking and explaining, and being as gentle as possible, I slowly began to gain her trust and confidence. She laboured quickly during the day and by early afternoon she was ready to deliver. I had been able to transfuse 2 bags of blood and also blood extracts during the morning and hoped that would be enough. It was all that was available. We had been promised more later. I was concerned as to how she would cope during and after the birth and did all I could to ensure minimum blood loss at that time. The fetus and placenta was expelled easily without haemorrage but she continued to ooze afterwards. When I left her on Friday afternoon she was on the way to operating theatre for an exploratory procedure to establish the cause of bleeding. It was just too difficult to examine her properlywithout sedation or anesthetic. My last words to the clinical officer was " Please look after Flora I want to see her on Monday"
" I'll do my best " he replied. I could ask no more.
I spent most of the weekend thinking of her.
My first call on Monday morning was to post natal ward. I was delighted to find Flora alive. Not healthy, not strong, but alive.
The same day she was transferred to the gynae.ward at the central hospital for further investigations. She was still vomiting blood.
Today I went to see her and took her some boxes of milk, nutricious cereals, a bar of soap and some washing powder. I found her sitting up in bed, still ' paper white' but still alive.
When I enquired of the clinicians as to her condition I found that the investigations were still not done and they were not aware of her most recent blood results. Her Hb. post delivery is now 2.9.
I do assure you that in the developed countries 2.9 is considered nearly dead!
I requested that they ensure she receives more blood and that the investigations be carried out as soon as possible. I will return in 2 days to make sure.
Now I must quickly tell you about Larson.
My friend and fellow midwife Joanne, now living in Ghana, but who spent 3 years working at Bwaila, is here on holiday. It has been great to spend time with her, she's a remarkable lady.
On Saturday she sent me a message telling me of a Malawian family that she knows. Larson was desperate to find work. Did I know of any opportunities? At the time I didn't. Later that day I was talking to my neighbour who informed me she would be moving to a new house. It would be a good thing as there would be a big garden for her boys to play in but unfortunately being the other side of town she would need a driver to shuttle her sons back and forth to school and their various activities. I immediately thought of Joanne and her friend.
The interview was arranged for Sunday morning. Joanne arrived with Larson and I introduced them to Rose. We sat on the verandah and Larson began to talk. A married man with 3 children his wife was expecting the 4th. He had been out of work for 2 years and during that time had trained and gained a licience to drive taxis. He started his own business as a taxi driver but a year ago he was attacked at gun point and his taxi was stolen.He is lucky to be alive. Understandably, he will not drive a taxi again.
We asked how he and the family had survived during the past year? He explained that by doing small jobs he could earn some money so the family could eat and if not they just had water. It was shocking to hear this type of story first hand. We all know how many families here in Malawi live this way but it was disturbing for us to listen to his words and hear the emotion in his voice. The voice of a good man who so often could not provide for his family.
" I promise I will work hard, madam. " he said. " You can trust me. I will look after your boys as if they were my own. "
Rose decided to offer him the job. She was concerned that it would not start untill January.
" That's OK, madam, I have been waiting so many months I can wait one more"
The tears in his eyes and the smile on his face as he left to walk the 6km home to tell his wife the good news were a joy to behold!
What an incredibly humbling experience it had been for us all.
" You have just employed a driver " I said to Rose " But you have turned his whole life round"
Larston would go home to tell his pregnant wife that the future was brighter. 2009 would bring food on the table, clothes for his children and who knows maybe schools and medicines too.
" There was always much love in that family." said Joanne.
" Now there is hope"
How little we really had to do to make a difference. How little YOU really have to do to make a difference.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel.
Thank you for your stories.
I am always happy when I click here and see there's a new post.

Anonymous said...

Still reading and thinking of you! See you soon, lots of love, Alasdair

Anonymous said...

Me too! look foward to seeing u all!! luv u!
Fiona*

Anonymous said...

Hola Rachel, ya queda nada para verte y poder escucharte, aunque leerte es fantastico, duro, .....y mil emociones mas.

Bienvenidos a "CASA".

LUCAS que te vaig a donar un bes de Vacaaaaaa gegant i llarc........

Anonymous said...

HolA AMIGA DE AFRICA,
de nuevo los ojos llenos de lagrimas leo tus experiencias tan lejanas de nuestras vidas de comodidad y lujos...
cuento los dias hasta volver a verte, avisame pronto para poder dedicarte mucho tiempo y eso que lo tendras super lleno de compromisos!
muxos besos,
nos vemos muy prontito,
Agathe